Tuesday, April 7, 2015

I hope my Eyes said it All

I remember the first time I saw your baby blue eyes look up at me.  You were wrapped up in a pink and white warm swaddling blanket.  You looked at me with complete trust and I knew at that moment what my job would be for the rest of my life.  God had just blessed me with a daughter and it would be my job to protect, teach, love and guide you to become a confident woman.

Those same baby blue eyes looked at me a year later as I had my hands stretched out as you took your first steps on your own.  You were thrilled to gain mobility, but unsure of the unknown that lie beneath your feet as you courageously stepped towards my outstretched arms.  After thousands of hours of practice, we celebrated your accomplishment of navigating the obstacles our living room presented to you.  Your eyes said it all.

You were three years-old when those baby blue eyes peered at me down the driveway as we removed the training wheels from your Huffy bicycle.  I could see you analyze every turn of the screw as I loosened the bolt to remove the safety piece that assured your bike from tipping over.  The 30 yards could have been a mile as your arms frantically controlled the balance of your travel and your feet pushed you to the stopping point.  The success was met with cheers of joy as you made the journey without falling.  Your eyes said it all.

When the first day of Kindergarten arrived on an early August morning, those baby blue eyes looked at me once again as I was about to let you out of my control from 8:00 AM until 3:00 PM.  Your eyes would be exposed to new and exciting things for an entire day without me there to explain.  I knew you did great as I picked you up from school because your eyes said it all.

Several years have gone by and your blue eyes have told me many stories.  They have shown me when you are sad, angry, sleepy, confused, excited, happy and proud.  I have enjoyed your life and shared the pain your eyes have seen.  Your eyes have said it all.

Now as you stand on the pitching mound, I see hundreds of other eyes during your softball games.  I see the batters eyes wondering what pitch they are about to see.  I see the opposing coach hoping for you to fail.  I see taunts from the other teams’ fans, and admiration from your mother.  I see disappointment from our fans when a pitch is left high, and I see satisfaction from our coaches when you perform a perfect execution of pitches.  What I don’t need to see is the score because your eyes say it all.

I hope my eyes told you the same story.

You see, I haven’t forgot my promise to you as I held you in my arms over a decade ago.  I will protect, teach, love and guide you to become a confident woman.  This is my favorite job that has been bestowed upon me.  I have been blessed to be able to feed, hold and keep you warm as an infant.  I was excited as you stumbled into my arms as you took your first steps.  I was honored to hug you as you learned to ride your bike.  I was scared when I dropped you off at school for the first time and relieved when you made it through the day.

As you compete in competitive softball, I hope my eyes say this.

I admire your courage to stand on the mound and accept all of the pressure that comes with the position.  I am excited to see your successes and saddened for you when you don’t achieve the results you desire.  Although my eyes are not quite as blue as yours due to my age, I hope my eyes tell you that I am proud and love you with all my heart.

The Texas Travelers are a strong softball family and have some great girls on the team.  The team is filled with talent and has great potential as they are making a push to play ASA Nationals in Normal, Illinois for 2015.  This 10u team is competitive and has fought together in wins and losses.  No matter how intense the game becomes, The Texas Travelers’ parents understand that every girl is someone’s daughter.  The game of softball is that.  It is just a game.  Although, the team has high expectations, the teams’ staff understands that they have been honored with the trust to help guide and coach these girls as they continue to excel in life and in softball.

This weekend, the Texas Travelers Select Softball Team will be competing in the second leg of a three-leg series for the right to win the ASA Texas Challenge Series.  The Texas Challenge Series is the most competitive series with teams from across the State of Texas.  The team with the most accumulative points will earn a berth to the ASA National Championship Tournament in Normal, Illinois.  The Texas Travelers are currently only 9 points out of first place, and in a good position to take over the top spot.  The second leg of the Texas Challenge Series will be held in Killeen, Texas and have the Travelers facing En Fuego, Diamond Sports Hotshots Gold, HITT, and Sneaky Cleats 04 during Saturday’s pool play games.  Bracket play will be seeded based on record, runs allowed, runs scored and the run differential.  Sunday’s bracket play games will be single elimination with five games to win the championship which starts at 2:00 PM.

For more information about the 04 Texas Travelers contact Coach Kyle Bennett at 972.679.7702 or follow The Texas Travelers on Facebook.  The Texas Travelers are a 10 U 2004 team that plays ASA competitive softball.  To follow particular players, games, practices or see any other information about the North Texas Select Softball team visit: 04 Texas Travelers News Site.

No comments:

Post a Comment